Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Devi and a Rani

The literal translation of Devi is Goddess, and Rani is Queen. The titles were not earned, but were assigned during a mindless conversation during an April blizzard. The Devi cleared the roads in and around Chicago of the snow the blizzard left behind for the Rani who demanded it. And all this to travel to a class! That was almost twenty years ago, but the titles stuck.  

My friend, the Rani, is far from the demanding kind. She is everything we look for in a good human being. A daughter, who takes care of her parents; a sister, who always looks out for her siblings; a mother, who has sacrificed a great deal for her children; and a friend, who has held mine and many others’ hand when they needed it the most. 

Our memories together are countless, and include many tears – from laughing, from being mad at each other, and sometimes, tears of grief. Rani once convinced me and another terrified friend to switch theaters when the movie we bought tickets for turned out to be awful. That she fell flat on her face when trying to leave the theater was a sign to us that we had sinned badly. Once Devi, being the reasonable person that she is, asked Rani to sleep on the sofa so she could share her twin bed with another friend, Rani decided to dig herself in and not move. The result was 3 grown women sleeping in a twin bed, holding on tight to anything they could so as not to be tossed out when caught off guard. There were three very sore backs and very bad moods the following morning. 

As I write this post, I am overwhelmed and will probably have to write a book to cover everything I want to write. My parting note is something that brought tears to my eyes on the first day of 2014 – “Happy New Year, Devi. I am really sad about 2013 – it is the only year since I met you that I did not see you".

Happy Birthday, my darling! We may have missed 2013, but we will make up for it soon. And the miles between us will never change our memories and our love for each other.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, but it makes me also recount all those friends I haven't seen in the last year (or more) due to work and moves around the country (or the globe). 2014 has to be the year to reconnect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and how wonderful it is to know there still are Devi's and Rani's amongst us! You are of that cailber too Fayeza!

    ReplyDelete