Sunday, January 26, 2014

Keep calm and love your lean in homework

This article is inspired by the Lean In education video titled “Creating a Level Playing Field” – http://leanin.org/education/creating-a-level-playing-field/

In one of her six solutions to reduce bias, Professor Shelley Correll suggests that women, especially those in leadership positions, should vouch for and endorse the competence of other women in their organization. We must highlight “her” accomplishments, skills and contributions, and also pay attention when expressing a subconscious bias (such as introducing women as warm, hard-working and helpful whereas using words like brilliant and highly skilled for men).

Prof. Correll points out that we can start using this solution right away, regardless of our position in the organization. Our circle took this a step further, and decided that we want to vouch for and recommend the women in our circle. The facilitator of our circle created a homework assignment in which a circle member partnered up with another woman in the circle, and got to know them over a 3 month period. At the end of the 3 months, they would write a LinkedIn recommendation for each other which highlighted the skills and talents that they learned of and recognized in their homework partner.

When I started this assignment, I was excited at the idea of making new friends and getting to know other women in different professions and at different career levels. The assignment made me focus on 2 important things. First, I would always present myself in the most positive way possible, and talk about my skills and talents with another woman. Secondly, I focused on asking questions that would make me learn of the positive things about my homework partner. Both of these were very rewarding, as I found myself practicing story telling in a positive way, and I learned so much about the career and personal life of my partner, and how their skills and contributions led them to their accomplishments.

My 3 months are up, and I am now focused on writing recommendations for the brilliant women I partnered up with. I have made new friends and learned so much about the life and careers of my homework partners, but most of all, I have learned that focusing on the positive in myself and others has inspired me to learn more about other women’s accomplishments, highlight my skills and those of others around me more, and to Lean In!


No comments:

Post a Comment