Thursday, August 25, 2016

What I learned from Relay For Life #volunteering

Many of my friends and coworkers have heard me say that I learned the best project management and leadership skills from my 3 years on the leadership team at the Relay For Life of Belmont / San Carlos, two of which I chaired. But that's only a fraction of what I really learned, and the most valuable lessons came from the weekly interactions for the months spent in organizing the events. 

  • Do not underestimate the power of human kindness
  • Grief is a powerful emotion, use it well 
  • No one "has" time to volunteer - those who are motivated "make" time
  • When some volunteers drive you crazy, always remember why they are there and your common purpose
  • The most important thing in fundraising is the "ask" - if you don't ask, you don't get
  • Don't be afraid of, and be offended by, hearing a "no" - not everyone believes in the same causes you do
  • Find the right people, train them, and get out of their way - if you can't trust people, they won't be inspired by your leadership
  • Practice empathy - it is better than preaching it
  • Be grateful - for what you have, what you are capable of doing if you try, and simply recognizing that you can make a difference
  • Know when to walk away, even from something you love and are passionate about

This list is not complete, but I am fighting the urge to make this perfect (which means it may not be posted for a very long time).

Parting thought for now - be inspired by kindness, and volunteer for a cause because each one of us can make a difference. My experience with Relay inspired me to volunteer for many other causes, some of which I loved, and some - well, cutting sheetrock was just not my thing :).


2 comments:

  1. Love this and you. Sometimes it is in the most unlikely places that we learn the move valuable lessons. These are points that people should reflect on often. Well said Fayeza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you back, and yes, we learn something everyday, in the most unlikely places.

      Delete