Sunday, January 18, 2015

Yearful - a reflection on my first year of blogging

Last January, I created this blog, with lofty goals of blogging at least twice a month. I had quite a good run in January with 9 posts, which helped average out for the occasional decline that happened during the following months. The blog was a stretch goal for 2014, and accomplishing a stretch goal in the first week of the year was the wind beneath the wings of the other goals. Since I sometimes struggle to keep up with the twice a month, I am going to start the first post of 2015 with a reflection on why do this at all.

First, the goal itself. Why blog? A few years ago, a friend's mom, a woman I admire and love deeply, said to me, "you have a lot to say, you have a way of expressing an opinion and you must write so it is never forgotten". Inspired by her words, I started a journal. Soon, the journal was buried amongst a stack of other things, never shared with anyone, and the writing completely forgotten. When setting goals for 2014, my biggest challenge was personal goals. I did not need to lose weight (I do this year, but not then), I already had an exercise goal, and some of my professional goals were tied to personal development as well. I randomly picked a chapter in a book, in which the author wrote about how starting a blog was one of her biggest challenges, and once she started one, it was one of the most satisfying experiences. I created one on the same day!

Ah, the joys of picking a color, a background, a picture. Red - easy, my favorite color. Picture - when in doubt, just go with the Facebook profile picture, right? Background - the profile picture. That was mostly impulsive at the time, but when I look back, subconsciously, I picked a picture that is a reflection of myself. Wearing one of my favorite outfits, a hairstyle I love, with my favorite cocktail in front of me, my phone right where I can reach it, a gift box from my favorite store, and most importantly, in the company of some of the people I love the most, at a restaurant celebrating my birthday.

After writing a few posts, I wrote what I call a birthday blog. The first of a few, it made me reflect on the many valuable friendships I have, and the amazing memories that bring so much joy and laughter.

It wasn't all just personal. One of my Lean In articles was included in another blog, a recipe was included in a food blog, an article about Merline Saintil was tweeted by none other than the amazing woman herself, and I have a recipe published in a book!

It's 2015 - what now? Coming up - the January 17th birthday blog, and a new recipe.

Thanks to all those who read my blog, and always send me encouraging words which often inspire the next blog (or at least a Facebook post).

Cheers to 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment