Thursday, July 24, 2014

What makes you happy at the end of a rough day?

It was a rough day, in many ways. On my way home, I did not think I could hold one more thought, and just wanted to go to bed! And then I saw the text message, "hey, are we still on for 7pm?". This was not a dinner or movie outing. It was a call with a young woman I am mentoring. We had planned a Skype call at 7pm for her to practice interview questions, and I was wondering if I would be able to even listen past the first few words!

It was the best part of my day!

The minute I got on the call, I saw the face of someone who wants my help and appreciates it. I saw someone who is struggling more than the person who practically ruined my day. And every cell in my body switched into mentor mode.

One of my coworkers, a person who I admire and highly respect, spoke about empathy a couple of weeks ago, and presented the concept of filling someone's bucket with a little happiness. The one thing I do every morning is fill hers by thanking her.

I will go to bed tonight feeling very rewarded that I made a small impact on someone's life. If you are in a position to make a difference in someone's life, the time to do it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment